Friday, February 11, 2011

Home Sweet Home???

Fri feb 4th- I woke up this morning very excited because I knew in just a few hours we would be going home. As I was showering I had a dull headache and my vision was a little blury. I figuired I just needed some food. I ate a pop tart & then Ryan & I headed to the NICU to feed Dylan. We knew that he needed to have another head ultrasound done before we would be discharged. ( just a precationary step). We were so suprised when we got there that the ultrasound had already been done. All we needed to do was feed him, And meet with Dr 's & nurse to go over discharge papers!! After everything was ready to go the nurse walked me & Dylan out to our car and we were on our way home.


Ryan & I were so happy once we got home. We also had that feeling of "ok now what"? A couple hours later my mom & aunt came over. I told my mom I had a headache all day & couldnt get rid of it. Once I mentioned the vision problems that morning she quickly told me to check my blood pressure. It was 165/103. I called my Dr & they told me to go to ER. I was so upset. We took my pressure a few more times and each time the bottom number was over 100. We had only been home 3 hours & I was headed to the hospital. Ryan stayed home with Dylan & My mom and I headed to Tri County.

Once in the ER & explaining my recent health problems to ER Dr, they quickly started monitoring my Blood Pressure. They gave me a EKG, a chest X Ray, checked my blood for liver/ kidney problems ( can be a problem with the toxiema) and checked my urine for protien. Every test came back fine with the exception of my fluid levels which was obvious. They gave me blood pressure meds and we waited. My blood pressure went down & quickly went back up. They decided to admit me to the hospital. I was so upset. I didnt want to spend another night away from my son.  The staff at Tri County were so nice. They found me a room on the labor & delivery floor so Ryan & Dylan could stay with me. To make a long story short I was hooked to a magnesium sulfate drip through the night along with other IV to help eliminate fluids. It was a repeat of what I had been through a week before. I barely slept all night. This was my first time being with Dylan through the night so I was constantly watching him to make sure he was ok. His crib was right next to my bed because I could only get out of bed with help of nurses ( because of everything I was hooked up to) Ryan slept in the bed next to me because he had to work he next morning. He didnt get much sleep either.

Sat Feb 5th- When Ryan left for work my mom came to sit with me. That was the only rule from the hospital I was not to be alone with Dylan out of precautions. I was stuck in bed so if something happened I wouldnt be able to respond fast enough.  Through the night my blood pressure had improved & they had taken 3 liters of fluid off of me! My Dr came in & said I could go home. They sent me home with blood pressure meds, a water pill to help wih fluids & potassium ( it had been  low). I was to come to Dr office for follow up on Tues. I was finally going home with my baby
That night was awesome. Ryan & I spent the night just us & Dylan. Dylan was great and only woke up when it was time to feed during the night. After such a stressful & crazy 2 weeks it was so nice to finally be home and be a family.

I cant wait for Dylan to get older and I can share this story with him . Those 12 days in the hospital were the Worst & Best times of my life. We all went through a lot but I wouldnt trade it for the world. Dylan is worth everything I experienced. Everyone told me that I would fall in love the momoent I saw him....They are so right. I fall in love more & more every hour I am with him. I cant get enbough of him. I am so happy to be his mom.


I have also fallen even more in love with Ryan. Hearing how he stepped in & took control when I wasnt able was amazing. In these situations you hope that is what your spouse will do,  but you arent sure till the day comes. The nurses at the NICU showed Ryan how to change a diaper, how to swaddle, ect. When I witnessed Ryan doing all of this like a pro,  my heart melted. He jumped into the "Daddy Role" and never looked back. He is an awesome dad & husband. I couldnt ask for more. Life is Good

2 comments:

  1. This picture is God's purest form of perfection. We are soooo BLESSED to share in it! Thankfully ENJOY, the rewards are Eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booke, I had no idea of any of this, I had been following on Fb through your delivery but had no idea how severe it had gotten. So Glad that you and Dylan are healthy now and starting to enjoy all of the wonderful things that come w/ being a Mommy!! Laine

    ReplyDelete